Thursday, May 12, 2016

Remember That Time When...


That's a line I've always been made fun of for because I can remember so much. My response when people ask how I remember whatever it is they forgot is, "I never killed any brain cells..." I've always been straight-edge. That doesn't make me better than anyone though because I've had so many moments in my life that I'm not proud of. I've been looking back a lot more lately and forgiving those who've wronged me, as well as feeling remorse for wronging others.
I've been told quite a few times that I'm too nice. I beg to differ, but I usually try to see the good in everyone. That's come back to bite me quite a few times. There's a few people I tried to help, and they ended up hating me for some reason. I hope someday they can look back and reflect as I've been doing.

People ask me if I get nervous going on stage for a comedy show. I used to quite a bit. The only thing I really get concerned about is trying out new material, and remembering not to forget to add it in. The stage is often where I'm most comfortable. I also can be a little fearful to make sure I don't go over my stage time if I'm working with another act. Heckling rarely ever happens to me, but I don't ask for it either. If you ask the audience questions it's more likely to happen. I seem to have the audience convinced I'm going to bury them if they respond to me, which isn't the case, although it's important to think on your feet. I've responded before when someone did something, such as an uncontrollable laugh (on my Lassie Joke), which I just responded that I loved the guy's laugh and was glad I was recording it. The crowd instantly erupted with more laughter, just because I pointed it out. Sometimes that's all you need to do. One time I didn't get a response to a Peanuts' joke and tried to cover it up with, "There's a reason I still live with my parents..." This little kids shouted out, "Why?", and I said, "I just told you..." The crowd loved it, and it was great! Sometimes the spontaneous comments are more funny than the actual routine. I've even added them into the act. For some jokes I have a response for whether or not they laugh at them to ensure they will laugh at my next line.



It's amazing to have all this knowledge of comedy 10 years later that I would've (figuratively) killed for when I was first starting out. My life keeps going on, and I'm still here for a reason. I'm not sure what, but I'm going to use the talent God has given me to glorify Him. When people hear I'm a comedian, the most common saying usually comes right after... "Say something funny!!!" There's quite a few comedians who refuse to do it. I've heard some insist they will have to buy a ticket to hear them! I'm not that dramatic about it. I will think of one of my better jokes and tell it. Why deprive others of your gifts? That's selfish! If you feel that way, get over yourself...

I remember so many crazy things from my life so far. Come back soon to read more...

Forever In Christ,
Rich Jones
www.richjonescomedy.com


No comments:

Post a Comment